Mint Mutual Fund Conclave 2017
The last couple of years have seen a rush of retail investors in mutual funds. This follows a decade of regulatory action and an effort by the industry to get the product and the sales culture right. Today, the Systematic Investment Plan or SIP is better understood in the urban mass affluent population of the top few cities as a credible way to invest money. The flow of retail domestic money into equity funds has offset the volatility of FII fund flows. Debt funds are also increasingly seeing retail interest. This space for the share of household savings has been hard fought, but looks to be on a firm foundation.
But is the industry equipped to retain this money and replace the FD-gold-real estate focus of the Indian investor? Along with an expanding market, products and options are set to multiply. As the industry gears up to face the possibility of better times ahead, will the mistakes of the past get repeated? What regulatory changes are still needed to move the mutual fund industry to the next exponential level?
To find answers, Mint, India’s most respected business daily, organized an agenda-setting conference, bringing together leaders from the industry to deliberate on the theme ‘FY2018: The Year of the Mutual Fund?’ and talked about issues around managing investor expectations, gaps in regulation that today prevent the industry from an even faster growth and industry practices that could harm this journey.
- The Mint Mutual Funds Conclave 2017
- Theme: FY 2018: The Year of the Mutual Fund?
- Welcome address by Monika Halan, Consulting Editor, Mint
- 5:40 pm to 6:00 pm – Keynote address by G. Mahalingam, Whole Time Member, Securities and Exchange Board of India
- 6:05 pm to 7:00 pm – First Panel
- Are fund managers ready to manage ever-increasing inflows and investor expectations?
- Lakshmi Iyer, CIO (debt) & head-products, Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Co. Ltd
- Manoj Nagpal, MD & CEO, Outlook Asia Capital
- Navneet Munot, ED & CIO, SBI Funds Management Co. Ltd
- Prashant Jain, ED & CIO, HDFC Asset Management Co. Ltd
- S. Naren, ED & CIO, ICICI Prudential Asset Management Co. Ltd
- Are mutual funds ready for exponential growth?
- Second Panel
- Moderator: Kayezad E. Adajania, Deputy Editor, Mint Money, Mint
- Anuradha Rao, MD & CEO, SBI Funds Management Co. Ltd
- Kalpen Parekh, President, DSP BlackRock Investment Managers Pvt. Ltd
- Milind Barve, MD, HDFC Asset Management Co. Ltd
- Nilesh Shah, MD, Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Co. Ltd
- Nimesh Shah, MD & CEO, ICICI Prudential Asset Management Co. Ltd
- Swarup Mohanty, CEO, Mirae Asset Global Investments (India) Pvt. Ltd
- Moderator: Monika Halan, Consulting Editor, Mint
- Vote of thanks by Mahesh Krishnan, Business Head, Mint
Theme: ‘FY2018: The Year of the Mutual Fund?’
Venue and Date
28th September, 2017 | Mumbai